If you'd like your startup to be a part of the 2012 program please email startups [at] startuproots [dot] org
Startup Application Deadline: April 20th, 2012
StartupRoots is a non-profit organization that will provide you with a hand-picked Fellows from a top-tier University. StartupRoots Fellows will also have access to a weekly speaker series and other events that will ensure a fully immersed, startup internship experience.
The goal is to provide prospective entrepreneurs and startup community members an opportunity to learn more about the startup world while in college. Furthermore, students will be able to network with high-profile startup founders and learn from the best.
There are two ways for a Startup to get involved in StartupRoots:
- Integrate Startup Roots into your own internship program: You can leverage Startup Roots to boost your existing intern program. StartupRoots is essentially a structured community of startup interns. If you are a startup but have already hired an intern or wish to hire your own intern independent of StartupRoots, you and your intern can apply to be part of the program. Specifically, your interns will be invited to weekly events, engage in a community of like-minded fellow interns and become a Startup Roots Fellow. To find out more, please e-mail startups AT startuproots DOT org.
- Leverage Startup Roots to help find and match your startup with a Fellow. You will have a final say on which intern you receive, but StartupRoots will conduct the up-front screening process.
What kind of Startup are we looking for?
Early-stage startups with viable market opportunity and a full team. Most companies will have raised either a seed or venture round of financing. Bootstrapped companies should have a full-featured, launched product and a vibrant customer base. You should have a place for the intern to work, and be able to provide equipment if necessary.
StartupRoots Fellows must spend at least 50% of their time working on a specific summer-long project. Startups should have a plan for what the intern will be doing and how they will accomplish their goals. Projects must provide value to both the intern and the startup.
To apply for Startup Roots, e-mail startups [at] startuproots [dot] org with the following information:
- Startup Name
- Fellow's Supervisor Name, Contact Information, and Title
- Description of Fellow's summer project
- What value you will provide the intern
- Link to a demo of your product or service
How much does it cost?
StartupRoots charges the startups a small fee that goes entirely to operating Startup Roots, and nobody will be paid for working for Startup Roots. The money will go towards hosting a weekly speaker series dinner and other full-day events throughout the summer. There may be other expenses covered as well, especially that of out-of-state interns room and board. You will be provided with full accounting for the expenses of Startup Roots.
Send us an email to apply at startups [at] startuproots [dot] org
Startups that participated in the 2010 & 2012 StartupRoots sessions: